Cannon Hall, Hampstead
In 1916, Gerald du Maurier purchased Cannon Hall, 14 Cannon Place – and it was here that Daphne grew up. The house is a substantial red brick building dating from approximately 1720. The name derived from the use of cannon as street bollards outside the front gates. These were apparently introduced by Sir James Melville, secretary of the East India Company, who lived at the Hall from 1838.